Saturday, December 6, 2008

Autumn Embers Ornamental Grass

I have been working on a column for the Kansas City Gardener on compact ornamental grass varieties. For one source, I contacted David Salman, CEO of High Country Gardens Santa Fe, New Mexico. They are one of the leading forces in xeriscaping today and they have many varieties suited for our part of the country. I have always been impressed by their offerings and the quality of the plants I've received.


I am not an expert at all when it comes to ornamental grasses. But I have been frustrated when I find one for my garden it is way too large for me or the average sized garden. David gave me three varieties of which the most interesting was a pink flowered muhly grass (Muhlenbergia reverchonii) named Autumn Embers. David collected the seed himself from an area west of Fort Worth last fall. Wouldn't you have loved to be there? It is a midsized variety sizing up at 24 to 36 inches tall and 18 to 24 inches wide. Well I'm throwing out my "you must in threes" formula due to its size, but I think one surrounded by broad leaf perennials could add to the texture in my garden.

No comments: